Binley Coal Mine

Coal mining transformed the small village of Binley in the 1900s.

The colliery was closed in the 1960s and a small area at the former railhead is now a wildlife site with protected SSSI status. It is known as Claybookes Marsh, named in memory of Jack Clay and James Brookes who were killed when the roof of the mine collapsed in 1947.

  • Accessible
  • Parking