29th Division Monument & Lime Avenue

Along the present day A45 at the Stretton-on-Dunsmore roundabout sits a monument to the 29th Division who fought in WWI and are particularly remembered for their involvement in the Gallipoli Campaign, where they earned the name “The Incomparable 29th”.

Members of the Division were billeted in towns in Warwickshire and North Oxfordshire. In March 2015 King George V reviewed his troops here. This involved a parade for several miles along the route of the London Road and was watched by locals.

The billeting had been very successful and after the war, locals decided that they wanted a monument dedicated to the Division that commemorates both the King’s review and their “incomparable services” during the war. This is the only monument to the entire 29th Division in the UK.

Flanking either side of the roundabout is an avenue of lime trees. The original elm avenue was planted in the early 18th century and ran across Dunsmore Heath. After many of the trees were blown down during severe gales in 1916, the Duke of Buccleugh wanted to fell the remainder in the interests of safety. A local campaign to save the avenue saw them being transferred to the county council and some of the money raised for the monument was used to replant the avenue to create a ‘living memorial’.